Tuesday, February 7, 2012

      Well, I suppose I should start by saying that I am a virgin blogger, and trust me it has been a learning curve already. I am not sure why but after several attempts of creating a blog my blog page kept bringing up people who I am not. Actually this turned out pretty interesting because I was thinking about identity and these thoughts led me to reflect on the readings in Levi's text about creating identity within/outside of the group....so I think there will be much for all of us to share and post in this class that will create great dialogue. Please take a peek from time to time and check take a load off. After all, I am just like 7-11, I am always here and the coffee is always on!

2 comments:

  1. Tracy,

    Thanks for initiating the dialogue by posting a "hello" to me the other day. I'm wondering what you think about the class movies. Of course they're completely engaging; but they're also totally 'it's man's man's man's world.' In our reading from last week, women's and men's group roles and dynamics are differentiated. What do you think?

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Adam,
      I think the question you ask is an interesting one and yes, there is a link between these readings and the movies on some level where gender is considered. The readings we've looked at by Smith & Berg suggest that much of today's group work is still related to what values or characteristics I should say have been placed on our gender, for example Smith & Berg have stated that, "it is not unusual for for these tasks to be cast in gender terms, with nurturance associated with the feminine side of the group while purpose and goal setting are labeled as masculine". (Smith & Berg 93). I suppose some of these ideologies still linger in group settings but I think we have removed ourselves from this thinking/perspective quite a bit. So, in thinking this through what do we suppose happens in a same sex group? I am one of six in an all female management team...yet all of these roles such as the nurturer, decision maker, and goal setter are present. How would one explain this??? It is interesting to think about- I view these movies as a novelty given the time and place where are in in 2012. Thanks for the opportunity to reflect.

      Delete