Sunday, February 26, 2012

Thoughts On The Lack Of Negative Feedback... Smith & Berg Reflection Chapt. 6

         I thought the concept of negative feedback in Smith & Berg's Paradoxes of Group Life this weeks readings were so timely. I have recently returned from a conference in Atlanta with my management team which consists of six females. You may find yourself asking why would I point out the fact that the team is all female? Well, very specifically because of this concept of "negative feedback" that Smith & Berg has introduced me to throughout the readings.
         Smith & Berg wrote that, "...a group may need to be able to receive negative feedback about it's processes in order to grow." This statement really struck me. I have been part of the same management group for a very long time and as I read this passage I realized that negative feedback is not welcome in my work team. Hmmm, I am not shocked but now I am left wondering why? I cannot discern whether or not it is because we are women(not to sound sexist but it begs a question), and we do not want to hurt any one's feelings or is it because this is just the framework that my boss has established for appropriate work behavior? We are constantly telling our staff what they are doing well, but after reading this material I see where not giving appropriate negative feedback might be at the detriment of my staff's growth and development.
       Smith & Berg also wrote about the fact that "....though we know that we are imperfect, we hope however irrationally, that the feedback we attend to will prove us wrong." An AHA moment! yes, I have seen this many times in my weekly administrative meetings but could not put my finger on what was "underlying" the behaviors, attitudes and dialogues that I was witnessing at the table. Now my thinking turns to the thought that no one on my team wants to give negative feedback related to their performance because they do not want to receive it! So, I think this "code of silence" has developed, "don't reflect on my less than adequate performance and I won't reflect on yours." Now the curtain lifts! So, according to Smith & Berg our growth will be stunted because without the negative feedback we will not be able to fully look at our processes or lack of process. 
       Now that I have made this break through related to my work team I wonder how this will play out in our class team? Will we be willing to share negative feedback without alienating our team members? This is a cultivated skill I think to be able to share negative feedback in a professional and democratic way to produce growth. I wonder how everyone in the class will approach this? I also wonder how much of this is tied to your temperament or personality? Are these messages delivered more easily by some than others? Would this be the difference between leaders and the followers? I would love to hear your reflections. Signing off for now...........
 

No comments:

Post a Comment